By Jessica Lee
It’s summertime in Austin, and while, yes, it does get incredibly hot with the mercury rising above 100 degrees more days than not, it’s also one of the best places to be this time of year. Why? Because we’ve got a ton of great watering holes – and by watering holes I mean both lakes/pools and bars!
So to celebrate the return of summer, I’ve rounded up the best spots to grab a drink in Austin. I know I missed some (there are so many!), so leave a comment with your faves!
- June’s All Day
- Located on the oh-so-popular South Congress street, June’s All Day is a bustling cafe with an amazing wine list. The bartenders are always more than happy to help you find the perfect glass for your taste. And don’t pass on the food! I’m a big fan of the chilled artichoke. Once you finish noshing on the leaves, they take it to the back, chop up the heart and throw egg salad on top. Delish!
- Better Half (*Bottom right image)
- I find myself at Better Half more often than I should probably admit. It’s the perfect spot to grab a margarita, glass of wine or beer. While you’re there, be sure to order the cauliflower tots. They come with a beet ketchup that’s to die for.
- Clark’s (*Top right image)
- Clark’s happy hour is one of the best in town. The adorable seafood-heavy spot offers $5 martinis on weekdays from 3-6pm. Don’t skip the half price burger either. My burger-loving besties say it’s one of the best in town.
- After vintage shopping on North Loop, you’ll want to stop in Drink.Well, a teeny tiny bar that’s serving up delicious cocktails. I love how this bar has a neighborhood vibe (and they make a mean negroni!)
- Garage is one of the best hidden gems in downton Austin. Literally, it’s hidden in a parking garage. The bar is located in the old valet station, and it’s perfect for a romantic summer date night. Pro tip: go before hitting up the Paramount Summer Classic Movie Series.
- Want a great mezcal or tequila cocktail? Come here. Located in East Austin, this bar is the perfect place to people watch with a cocktail in hand. Bonus points for the photo booth!
- Kitty Cohen’s
- Kitty Cohen’s feels like being transported back in time to a 1950’s tiki-themed cocktail party, and I don’t hate it. Grab a cocktail, hang out around the pool and enjoy the ~ vibe ~
- Half Step (*Bottom left image)
- Rainey Street has changed a lot over the years going from sleepy bars in bungalows to a full-on scene. Escape the craziness at Half Step, a wonderful cocktail bar that serves up really delicious draft palomas.
- St Elmo Brewery
- I’d be doing this list a disservice if I didn’t include a brewery on it. Austin is filled with TONS of breweries, and I even put a dent in my list of ones of visited. That said, St. Elmo Brewery is one of my favorites that I’ve been to so far. Not only is the beer delicious (I like the Carl), but the space is beautiful too!
- Hank’s (*Top left image)
- Hank’s has a little bit of everything. Go for a coffee and pastry in the morning, stay for the great happy hour. My favorite cocktail on the menu is the frozen paloma. Plus, it’s just $5 at happy hour!
Share more of your favorite grab-a-drink spots below! Have a great weekend.